Monday, March 2, 2009

Copying Japanese Prints

Copying drawings from books is an educational experience. I have many art books and today I chose to look more closely at the pictures in the one on 'Japanese Prints' by Gabriele Fahr-Becker. I am interested in Japanese drawings and paintings because they have neat, fluid lines that I like. I like drawing with ink pens because I find it challenging to draw with the knowledge that mistakes are not good because they cannot be covered up or corrected as you can do with oil painting or pencil drawing. There is always the thrill of getting the drawing right the first time be it copying the work of artists or drawing on the spot.

In copying the three ladies enjoying "The Evening Star Festival" by Torii Kiyonaga I was able to appreciate the meticulous attention that the artist has paid to very fine details. - from the hairstyles to the prints on the kimonos, to the delicate shape of the fingers and especially the prints on the kimonos where the folds and drapes were made to look so fluid and natural because the prints have been placed there as if photographs were taken and the artist referred to them.

No comments: