Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Indian Decorative Pot

Drawn from a black-and-white photo of an Indian Decorative Pot. The time spent studying the intricate patterns during the drawing process made me appreciate the artistry of whoever made this pot. The design was probably in his or her head evolving as the potter shaped the pot. It made me realise that what had initially been just a heavily decorated pot was really one that carried nature's motifs of flowers and leaves elegantly. I started at the top drawing the knob of the cover of the pot and worked my way down layer by layer. The shape of the pot was not perfectly symmetrical because it was hand-made. My initial concern was that the pot had to be well-balanced and I worried that I might not be able to complete the drawing satisfactorily because I could not produce the desired shape. It was a relief to find that human hands are not robotic arms and precision is not crucial here. As I progressed from the top to the bottom of the drawing I had a sense that the potter must have lived those moments crafting this pot to the fullest. I wish I could have that experience of producing something concrete like this decorative pot.



No comments: