Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Flowers in my mind

This is an acrylic painting on a calendar stand. I recycle old calendars using them to practice painting. These stands are small enough to hold in my hand while I sit in a comfortable position on my 'director' chair.

I have not been painting for a long, long time and using acrylic paints took a lot of effort. I have lost the technique of painting form dark to light and it took a considerable determination not to give up. The flowers were painted from imagination and recall. As usual, I was totally engrossed in painting and it was past midnight before I was done.

This is a practice piece and completing it within a few hours I now have the incentive to do more. I have stacks of these calendar stands in my cupboard. Painting to me is like meditation - I totally lose touch with my surroundings when I paint.



No comments: