Thursday, June 4, 2009

Sketching exercises

From a vantage point in a building I saw many people walking in the street below. From a distance, I was able to single out interesting subjects and capture the form in the fleeting seconds as each moved across my view, towards or away from me. Singaporeans walk pretty fast especially the younger ones. I decided that my sketches had to be done speedily and should only capture the key characteristic of each person in simple strokes. I also made it a point to sketch only women because I find them more interesting - different hairdos, clothes, handbags etc.


At the end, it was a fun activity for me. I enjoyed the challenge of capturing the images in brief strokes before they disappear from my life in a matter of moments.

2 comments:

alicesg said...

You are right about Singaporeans walking very fast. I am one of them too...hehehe. But I cant find myself in your sketch, maybe I walked away too fast...lol.

Mableinsingapore said...

I better learn to speed up my sketching so I won't miss you next time :-)