Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Practice session

Painting with brush and ink is like a form of therapy because I wield an ink brush with more ease than one loaded with acrylic. However, I still love painting with oils and acrylic. I love the work of Van Gogh and a few other impressionist painters like Monet and would love to start on something on a bigger canvas the size of a 42" Panel TVand try my hand at painting in that kind of style. Dreams aside, reality only allows me snippets of time here and there to indulge in art. This time I decided to paint birds. I began using the Chinese brush painting approach.
Next I wanted to do something more colourful and so I added some water colours to the basic ink sketch. This was when I found myself applying oil painting techniques. That was rather fun and I really enjoyed this new experience. My reference for these small paintings (size of a notebook that is half A4 size) is the book "A Passion for Birds" by Ong Kiem Sian that contain beautiful shots of many varieties of birds found in our region.


4 comments:

alicesg said...

Wow this is so beautiful. Fantastic.

Mableinsingapore said...

Heheh thanks, I like them too since I had no expectations of how the drawing would turn out, just following my instincts.

alicesg said...

I think I am going to start drawing and when you see my drawing, you would faint..hehehe.

Mableinsingapore said...

Eh Alice, I believe that there is an artist in each of us, otherwise we will be robots. So please start when you are in the mood to draw and when you are happy with it, share it. If you are not, do not give up. :-)