Monday, July 27, 2009

Practice

This is just a sketch of lotus flowers based on photos of individual flowers. I composed the drawing of how they would look together filling in the space between them with lotus leaves the way I imagined they would look to complement these blooms. Ideally, I would like this picture to be in colour. Ideally! Perhaps I might return to this drawing at a later time to fill in the colours, or perhaps I might replicate this drawing in colour. I do not like to dwell on a drawing or painting for too long for I lose interest somehow.





Next, I saw a photo of twoVanda Miss Joaquim orchid flowers in a book on Tropical Flowers. In doing this drawing I was able to appreciate how intricate a design nature has come up with in this flower even though the overall impression, to me, is that it is rather plain and unimpressive. After this exercise in which I had to look at the flower in greater detail, I am quite convinced that orchid flowers are good subjects for drawing and painting.

No comments: