Sunday, July 11, 2010

Just for laughs

This year's UOB Painting of the year was won by a young girl who did a photographic representation of herself in acrylic, as a frustrated artist holding a blank canvas in front of her. In the last two years, the top prize was given to submissions that were photographs instead of paintings. So this year the best part of the pie went to a real painting of what could have been a photograph. What would the critics say this time I wonder for they had been infuriated when a photograph was chosen as a Painting of the Year. This time it's not a photograph but a painting that was so realistically executed that it could have passed off as a photograph. I wonder if this painting could have taken away the top prize in a major photographic competition.

My entry - if I had thought about it carefully - would have been one of these photos of my hat on the Hortpark bag that I had painted on using fabric paints. This submission shows that while I really want to paint like an artist, I do not have the courage to start always ending up walking the parks and taking pictures of the flowers that I would like to paint and dabbling in small-scale and not totally original productions.

No comments: