Monday, July 19, 2010

Tiong Bahru charm

Four sketches in a day - it has been ages since I was able to devote an afternoon entirely to sketching outdoors.
Two artists sketching away while I made do with whatever was before me having secured a comfortable place to sit down. Luckily the day was not hot or humid because of the rain in the morning. In fact, it was an ideal day to be outdoors. I was enjoying this sketch until I realised that I had made a glaring mistake in the placement of the Singapore flag. I could have kicked myself real hard for this stupid error. As I had used an ink pen to do this drawing there was no way I could eliminate the flaw.
This second drawing was made at the corner of a small park facing a road that runs between these two buildings. The strokes were freer and faster because I was standing in the open with nothing to protect me from the UV rays.
Next I walked around and found this space between two sets of flats with the signature rounded balconies of Tiong Bahru. Under the lowest of these balconies were bicycles and push carts. A clump of MacArthur Palms rose a few storeys high and a rusty disused oil-drum that probaby served as an incense paper burner completed this interesting scene.
My last drawing turned out to be my best effort for the day. It shows the artist doing a painting sitting on a low stool with people watching her from behind. In the background is a 7-Eleven outlet and a sign that tells you that the row of shops belong to block 58. I guess I am better at drawing people than buildings even though I had enjoyed drawing both.

2 comments:

alicesg said...

Wow your sketches are like photos. The only sketch you can see from my blog are generated from the computer software...lol. And I can only draw people that looked like stick people...hehehe. Thanks for sharing these beautiful sketches.

Mableinsingapore said...

You are welcome Alice and thank you for always being so encouraging and supportive of my efforts.