Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Flower for today

I started off wanting to paint more of the Heliconia in the previous post. I used an acrylic brush on a piece of thin xuan paper and experimented with the brush for a while. And then I got bored with looking at the same picture and labouring to make each stroke more perfect than the previous ones and my vision blurred...


For a while, I wondered about perfection and if it was worth one's precious time to seek it out when it is probably non-existent. So, I thought that life should be led in a more spontaneous and fun way and if one follows one's heart, life would be more meaningful and fulfilling. It was then that I turned the page of the book on flowers that I was referencing to a new flower - the hibiscus. Because I was free from having to arrive at a perfect form for this flower, I painted with only guidance from my mind's eye. In so doing, I found that I actually discovered a new way to hold the brush to create the soft, rolling edges of the petals of the second flower. What a wonderful day!

No comments: