Friday, February 13, 2009

New experiments - Chinese brush painting

I was at PageOne in Vivocity browsing not intending to buy anything while waiting for a movie to start. As usual I succumbed to the 20% discount labels on the books. Fortunately, I found a book that I really liked on Chinese Brush Painting with clear instructions and illustrations on how to get started on Chinese brush painting with two hundred over motifs that could be copied for practice purposes. As I could not find my Chinese brushes and ink, I decided to use my acrylic paints instead using a lot of water to dilute them. This is my first copy attempt. Surprisingly, I rather like this style of painting.
With the paints leftover, I thought I should use them to do an acrylic painting but using the brush painting technique above to paint the petals of the chrysanthemum flower.My second experiment was the use of black acrylic ink with a thinner brush to copy the bamboo and pine painting made by the author of the book. I think this style and medium suits me better since I am used to making drawings with ink pens. Thanks to the simplicity of this marvellous book on Chinese Brush Painting I think I could be getting onto something exciting and I should make better use of this book to pick up some basic skills and techniques.

No comments: